Village altitude 40 m
Village land area 0,20 km2
Region averege altitude 58 m, lowland
Region land area 10,95 km2
Population 2011: 1.203, 2001: 1.497, 1981: 1.118, 1961: 1.333, 1928: 2.079 inhabitants.
Area per person 167 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly on agriculture (olives trees) and less on tourism.Previously used to produce raisins, silk and fine watermelons.
Chora village (Greek: Χώρα) is located at the center of the island, to the north-east end of the homonymous plain “Choras’ plain”, the largest in the island (15 km2). The distances are: 3,5 km from Pythagorio town, 17 Km from Samos town, 32 Km from Karlovasi town and 29 Km from Marathokampos village. Administratively belongs to the “municipal unity of Pythagorio”.
History & name
It’s one of the first villages that were created after the re-settlement of the island (about 1550). Chora was the capital of the island (after Mili village), for about 250 years, taking the scepter from Mili village at 1600, and passing it on to Samos town (back then named Vathi) at the summer of 1854, by the hegemon Ioannis Gikas.
As capital it used to have several remarkable buildings out of which some have been demolished (tower of Methina) and others had their character completely altered, like the Prince’s Palace, near the square “Mesakis” at the west of the village.
The few Turks of the garrison of the island, were stationed at Chora village, to keep matters under control and to collect taxes. They also built the first and only mosque on the island (in 1600), which was destroyed by the Venetians in 1658.
The first church of the village and one of the first on the island, after its re-settlement, is the former parish church of Agios Dimitrios, build at 1608.
Almost all the old houses in the village, were unfortunately built using materials from the ancient city of Samos (current Pythagorion), that’s why there are many ruins and debris of columns, ancient stones, etc. around.
The village was named “Chora”, as capital of the island. In many Greek islands people give the name “Chora” to the main city, the capital. “Chora” in Greek means “country” but when used in this manner it means central or significant town.top
Administratively the settlement of Potokaki belongs to “Chora”, with 239 at 2011 inhabitants (2001 49 inhabitants). The settlement is located at the sea side, 3 Km distance south of the village. Today it’s one of the most developed touristic areas of Samos island, with many apartments to let and some large hotels in front of an interesting beach.top
- At the village there are many springs and beautiful fountains, because of its rich waters.
- Stroll through the narrow streets of the village, it’s worthwhile.