Town altitude 10 m
Town land area 0,25 km2
Region averege altitude 14 m, lowland
Region land area 5,3 km2
Population 2011: 1.630, 2001: 1.642, 1928: 2.501 inhabitants.
Area per person 140 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly in tourism, less in fishing & agriculture
Pythagoreio or Pythagoreion or Pythagorion (Greek: Πυθαγόρειο) is a small town, ex-southeast municipality on the island of Samos (till 2011), current municipality section of Samos municipality. It’s located at the south of the island, at the seaside. The distances are: from Samos town 13 km, from Karlovasi town 36 Km and from Marathokampos village 33 Km. Administratively it’s the center and belongs to the “municipal unity of Pythagoreio”.
Is the most developed tourist area of Samos island with excellent infrastructure and can accommodate more than 5,500 people. The port of the village, claims a leading position in arrivals of yachts in the Aegean, since during the summer season more than 2.000 boats arrive to its port, where they’re being serviced with electricity, water, communication, refueling, equipment and more. Next to it there is also a modern marina.
Is built on the ruins of the ancient city of Samos, capital of the island and one of the most famous Greek cities of antiquity. It is built on lower part of the old city which was amphitheatrically built, around the harbor.
The old city, has two innovative originalities in the world, the first constructed harbor and the first tunnel (of Efpalinus), both build at the second half of the 6th b.c., the period of tyrant Polycrates rule. As reported by Herodotus (Greek historian), the harbor (“soil at the sea” as he named it) is the most magnificent structure, after the Tunnel of Efpalinus.
Pythagoreio has a lot of archaeological sites (as well as an extraordinary museum), in the city or around, which has been designated a joint UNESCO World Heritage Site.top
Τhe old city of Samos (now Pythagoreio) was founded during the 5th b.c. century by persecuted Ionians, who led to be one of the most important cultural centers of the ancient Greece.
The golden age of the city was the period of tyrant Polycrates rule (538 till 522 b.c). During this period the ancient Samos was one of strongest economic, cultural and naval power with the fast and powerful warships “Samaina”. That period was characterised by the building of the Temple of Hera, the ancient harbor, the Tunnel of Efpalinus, the library, the Polycrates palaces, the walls of the city, the theater and many more which indicate the size of the city’s economic power. The construction of the harbor, was intended to make the city a hub for transit ships which went or came from Ephesus (center of Ionia). This contributed a lot to the economic development of the city, strengthened it and made it known throughout the ancient world. This city is the birthplace of Pythagoras, astronomer Aristarchos, philosopher Epicurus, fabulist Aesop, historian Herodotus (was not born in Samos but lived there after hes exiled from his home city), mathematician Conon , architect Rhoecus (helped design and build the temple of Hera at Samos), sculptor Pythagoras and other great people that contributed to the evolution of humanity.
With the passage of time and the presence of various conquerors, the decline of the city began, with the end to take shape in the midle of the 15th century, because of the pirate attacks, who ravaged the city along with the entire island. During the years of Ottoman occupation only a small guard remained at the spot, with the sole duty to inform the Ottoman administrator cited at Chora village each time a ship entered the harbor.
The town (village) began to be inhabited again, in the middle of 19th century, when Miltiades Aristarchus was Prince of the island (1859-1866). The new town was built on the ruins of the ancient city and on the foundations of an ancient harbor, a new quay was built, which along with a sea wall, protects the harbor.top
During more recent times, the new village was called “Tigani” (=frying pan) because of the circular shape of harbor, as writer Ep.Stamatiades mentions. The writer Nik.Dimitriou gives another explanation, that it might come from the French word “doine” that means customs office, or that it might even comes from the surname “Tiganos” which existed in Pythagoreio.
It’s current name, Pythagoreio, was given to the village in 1955 by the “International Organization of Pythagoreans” in honour of the great philosopher and mathematician Pythagoras who was born here.
Pythagoreio has three settlements, Karbovolos 2 Km north-west with 29 residents, Nea Poli 2 Km north-east, with 76 and Pounta 2 Km north-west with 121 residents.top
- Walk to the pier of the harbor, overlooking the luxury yachts and wander at the picturesque streets of the town.
- Visit the archaeological museum,
- Visit the Roman baths,
- Visit the great Tunnel of Efpalinus or double-entry tunnel. It’s 1026 meters long
- Visit the monastery of Holly Marry (spiliani), between Pythagoreio and the tunnel
- The Ancient theatre
- Visit the castle and museum of Lykourgos, in the city, which was built in 1824
- Visit fortification walls, above the village
- Μake a daily cruise to the surrounding coastal areas, with one of the traditional boats that you will find at the port
“Pythagoreio town” impressive aeial video of the town.