The collection of Samos Library department contains 34,130 volumes or 22,436 titles (7,926 titles in the Greek language, 13,581 titles in the English, 275 titles in the German language, 535 titles in the French language) and 352 journal titles of which 31 titles are current subscriptions in print.
It also has a collection of Grey Literature drafted in the University Departments located in Samos, the collection of textbooks distributed to students of the Departments of Samos and other special collections, such as: reference material (encyclopedias, dictionaries, guides), teacher notes, audiovisual material, the Porfyriada School collection, the Panagioti Mageira collection, the Morali family collection, the Dimitri Valaskantzi collection, etc.
The collection covers the areas of interest of the University Departments in Samos, as well as a large number of titles of general interest. The Samos Library branch covers mainly the following topics (subjects): Computers, Philosophy and Psychology, Religion, Social Sciences, Political science, Economics, Money-Banks, Macroeconomics-microeconomics, Law, Education, Economics, Financial, Security,Folklore,Language,Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics,Topology, Geometry, Astrology, Technology, Chemistry, Biology, Agriculture, Organization and Management, Accounting, Arts, Cinema, Chess, Literature, Geography & History
More information on the special collections
• Porfyriada School collection
The collection includes books from the Library of the Porfyriada School. Founder of the School was Porfyrios Zampetis. The Porfyriada School was established in 1784 in Neo Karlovasi. After the Union of Samos with Greece it was renamed to “Public School of Commerce” and later called “Gymnasium of Economics” The first building that housed the Porfyriada School was in the place that is today the Chatzigianneio Building and the Library of the University the Aegean. In 1831 the Library was burned accidentally. In the new building the library collection is enriched again with books and teaching material. The books that have survived until today were given as a donation from the Karlovasi municipality in 2010 and is a collection that includes 1,487 titles of books, textbooks, encyclopedias and dictionaries. The subjects of this collection are Ancient Greek Grammar, Rhetoric, Philosophy, Ecclesiastic books, Natural history, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Geography, Geology, Science of Commerce (Commercial Arithmetic, Commercial correspondence, History of Commerce, Science of Commodities, Accounting and Political Economics, Commercial Law),.
• Panagioti Mageira collection
The collection consists of 2,305 titles with primarily under the topic of mathematics. More specifically it includes many tutorial books – aids for students of high school (six year gymnasium) and lyceum and for candidates preparing for admission exams to universities, exam questions, academic books and Greek and foreign language journals.
• Morali family collection
The collection consists of 160 titles on the subjects of medicine and agriculture – agronomy. The books are mostly in French, issued in the years 1851-1920.
• Dimitri Valaskantzi collection
The collection consists of 4,734 titles, numerous Greek literary journals of the period 1960-1980 and newspapers.
The Samos Library branch has been operating since 1987 with the establishment of the Department of Mathematics and the University of the Aegean.
It is located in Karlovasi and is housed in a restored neoclassical building built in 1903, the “Hatzigiannio Girls School”. The Hatzigiannio Girls School is built in the place that was the “Porfyriada School” (which was burned, along with the important library, after that It was built again in Karlovassi Square).
The building was erected at the expense of industrialist and politician of the Samian State Giannis Chatzigiannis to house the Girls School that operated in Karlovasi since 1861. Founded in 1902, but work completed in 1905 and was named Hatzigiannio in honor of the benefactor.
All the years up until today the building served as school building, except for the interwar years. In 1989 the Municipality of Karlovasi ceded it to the University. With plans and study by the architect of the University of the Aegean K. Lapathaki, the building was renovated and revamped use Library.
“texts : come from the official website of the library”