Monastery of Agios Ioannis Theologos (in Greek Άγιος Ιωάννης ο Θεολόγος = Saint John the Theologian) was founded in 1823 by unknown monks.
Located southeast of the old Karlovasi, in a wooded area with beautiful views to the north-northeast, to Karlovassi, to the sea and to the coast of Asia Minor.
At the end of the 20th century, the monastery had the most nuns from any monasteries of Samos. At that time there lived in monastery 6 old nuns which were supported financially by handiwork which they made for sell. When they left from life, the monastery was deserted, but around 2007 the nun Maria came, and giving again the lost vitality to the monastery.
The small but neat church built in the 17th century and renovated in 1823 (year of monastery founding) with expense of Emmanuel Angelina from Karlovassi, as mentioned in inscription above the entrance of the church. The last renovation was in 2012.
Inside the sanctuary of the church, there is a trapdoor in which after four steps is the holy water (Agiasma). Impressive is the icon of the Virgin Mary, in the iconostasis of the church, which holds in its hands the crucified Christ and not as child as usual. At the relics of the monastery belongs and the ancient icon of Christ which is high artistic value.top
- Foundation year : 1823
- Founder : unknown
- Inhabited : 1 nun
- Responsible : Abbess Maria nun
- Celebration : 29 September
- Altitude : Elevation ≈ 170 m
- Condition : Very good (buildings renovated in 2007, church 2012)
- Access is free to the public. Entrance to the monastery is allowed with properly dressed, with decorous clothing.