Village altitude 295 m
Village land area 0,02 km2
Region averege altitude 278 m, mountain
Region land area 10 km2
Population 2011: 97, 2001: 118, 1991: 129, 1886: 192 inhabitants.
Area per person 154 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly agriculture (olive oil, vegetables) beekeeping, logging, charcoal production and less on livestock (goats). During the 19th century, some silkworms and carobs were cultivated for animal feed.
Drakei village (Greek: Δρακαίοι) locate northwest at the island, lying at the northwest foothills of Kerkis mountain, on rocky, steep slopes but with lush vegetation.
Administratively consists, the local communities of Drakei, which belongs to Karlovasi municipal unit, of West Samos Municipality with Karlovasi capital.
It has great view from nort till southwest to Aegean sea, and to the islands of Icaria, Fournoi, Chios even in Andros when the weather permits. It has also of the most beautiful sunset, do not miss it !.
Kallithea and Drakei villages are the most remote villages of Samos and until 1965, when the road was made, they were completely isolated. This resulted to the economic and social dependence between the two villages and their parallel development. That’s why, in the memory of the Samians, these two villages are considered as one, as was reflected in the administrative division of the island during the period of the Hegemony in Samos (1834-1912), which constituted the Municipality of “Kalambaktasi”.
Drakei it is just 10 km away from Karlovasi, in straight line, but the construction route is extremely difficult because of the rocky, steep slopes of Kerkis mountain, that’s why the route it cross from Marathokampos area in the southwest of the island . This has isolated the village from the rest of the island and has led to significant population decline, but on the other hand, retains its authenticity.top
History & name
During the period of Hegemony in Samos Drakei together with the neighboring village of Kalithea. constituted one municipality named Kalambaktasi. After the unification of Samos with Greece (1912), they were divided in two different communities.
The name of the village probably comes from the first inhabitant of the village who had the surname “Drakos”, according to Em. Kritikidis in Topography of Samos (1869) and Ep. Stamatiadis, in Samiaka (1886). There is also the secondary view, which correlates the name of the village with the tower “Drakano” that exists opposite the village, on the eastern cape of Ikaria island, which functioned as a ship observatory in the straits of the islands of Samos Ikaria and Fourni, as well the area of Drakea village.
The village was first inhabited probably around the beginning of the 18th c., since Georgirinis does not mention it, in the description of Samos of the 17th c. However, there was intense interest for the area, at least since the Early Byzantine period, because the strategic location allow the control of ship traffic in the straits of the islands of Samos, Fourni and Ikaria, through which cross the sea roads that connect the ports of southern Aegean with the Black Sea and the western Aegean with Asia Minor. There is no evidence of existence ancient city or village in the area, but it is certain of existed permanent guard to monitor the movement of ships, as evidenced by the ruins of the small tower at Pyrgaki area, archaeological finds in Agios Nikolaos (Ginaki) and other smaller watchtowers in the wider area.
During the period of Samos desolation (1476-1549), but also in periods that there was administration instability at the island, pirates must had the control of the area , since it was an ideal location for ships controlling and also a very good base to attack them. This view is reinforced by the occasional finding of buried treasures with gold coins in the wider area. Particular historical interest is the reference by Em. Kritikidis at his book Topography of Samos (1869) , for the finding of 80 gold Byzantine coins from the time of the emperor Justin II, 6th c AD.
The dozens of chapels in the area, testify that it was a place of isolation and contemplation for many orthodox Christians monks, from the 7th c, when monasticism began to develop at Samos. In the middle of the 15th century, at the southwestern areas of Kerkis mount, lived about 500 monks, out of 1,000 all over the island. They lived in huts, caves, but also in small monasteries (called Lavra), such as Panagia Makrini, Agios Charalambos (Zoodohos Pigi) and Agios Georgios, which were destroyed by Arabs Muslim attacks round to 890, and were re-established early of 10th c. with motivation by Saint Paul of Latros during the period that he was monk in Samos.
Ep. Stamatiadis, in his book Samiaka (1886) characterizes the inhabitants of the village as hardened, healthy and long-lived due to the fresh air, the cristal clear water and the large amount of rye and barley that they consume. In addition, mentions a romantic process of weddings in 18th and 19th c, according to this, the groom kidnapped the bride and they took refuge at the caves of Kerkis mount for a few days, then returned to the village for the official wedding.top
One settlement belong to Drakei village, Ormos of Agios Isidoros settlement, 4,5 Km west from the village, with 18 inhabitants. It is the seaport of the village with an important legacy to the history of traditional shipbuilding of wooden boats in Greece.
- From Drakei village starts a path of 4 km to the east, which leads to Megalo Seitani beach. Then you can return by the same road, or continue the path to Potami beach, through Mikro Seitani beach or follow the uphill path to Kosmadei village.
- Follow the dirt road (preferably 4X4) for 4.4 km, from the parking lot at the entrance of the village, to visit Ormos of Agios Isidoros settlement.
>> Continuing the dirt route south, for another 1.6 km, you will reach Varsamo beach.
>> From the beach continue the dirt route for another 3 km and you will be on the main road just outside of Kallithea village.
>> Here all the above route
- Just before the village, a dirt road route starts that leads to Kallithea village. Very beautiful route in beautiful environment with lush vegetation (preferably 4X4).
>> At the 6th kilometer of the route you will find in a green environment the chapel of Agia Aikaterini (St. Catherine), built in 1462, by the monk Symeon Sinaitis and belonged to the Monastery of Sinai.
>> From the chapel of Agia Aikaterini, continuing the road to the south and after 850 m by car and another 420 m hiking you will find the cave and the chapel of Panagia Makrini.
>> From Panagia Makrini chapel, there is a hiking trail continues to “Vigla“, the top of Kerkis mount. CAUTION The trail is very difficult and dangerous and only for experienced climbers. To return from Vigla you can follow the same route or follow the path to Kampos Marathokampou, or the path to Memorial.
- Visit the traditional shipyard for wooden boats (Tarsana), by George Kiassos, near the parking lot, at the entrance of the village.
- On October 26 in the church of “Agios Demetrius”, close to the village in a beautiful enviroment with lush vegetation, there is a feast for the name day of the saint.
- Do not forget to enjoy your dinner, accompanied by wonderful sunset, at one of the courtyards of the village cafes/restaurants.
Panoramic view of the village
The Sunset by Drakei village