Village altitude 162 m
Village land area 0,12 km2
Region averege altitude 138 m, semi-mountainous
Region land area 8,3 km2
Population 2011: 517, 2001: 578, 1940: 1.464, 1886 : 806, 1869: 611 inhabitants.
Area per person 230 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly on agriculture (horticulture, it covers most of the island’s needs), with a good reputation in watermelon and tomato quality. Other crops are olives and vines. During the 19th c. they cultivated silk and from the end of the 19th c. until the end of the 20th century large tobacco crops. Secondary activity construction work..
Kontakeika village (Greek: Κοντακαίικα), is located to the north of the island, at the northwest foothills of “Ambelos” mountain (or Karvounis). The distances are: from Samos town 29 km, from Karlovasi town 5 Km, from Pythagorio town 38 Km and from Marathokampos village 18 Km.
Administratively consists the local communities of Kontakeika, which belongs to Karlovasi municipal unit, of West Samos Municipality with Karlovasi capital.top
History & name
As mention by Em. Kritikidis in his book Topography of Samos (1869), the first settler of the village was George Kontakis from the Peloponnese, who at the beginning of the 18th c. he bought a large land in the area and together with other compatriots founded the village and took its name.
Ep. Stamatiadis in his book “Samiaka” (1886), mentions as the first settler George with origin from the island of Kos and the nickname “Kotis” (=from Kos), due to his origin, whence the name of the village. George “Kotis” in the middle of the 18th c. bought a large plot of land at the area, where he settled with his family, then his children married women from the neighboring village of Idroussa, growing the settlement that developed into a village.
East of the village, at 900 m. altitude, in the place named Kastrovouni (= mountain castle), there are ruins of tanks, vaulted gates and fortification walls, which testify the existence of a castle in the area. The castle dates back to the 14th c., when the Genoese, together with the Maona trading company, ruled the island. According to Em. Kritikidis, there were 350 houses and 2 temples and it was probably the administrative center of Samos at that time, since it was the base of the prefect and the bishop of the island.
The parish church of Assumption of Virgin Mary was founded in 1902 and inaugurated in 1917. The construction of the church was carried out by raised money after a fundraiser, organized by Ioannis Papakonstantinou and with the personal work by the villagers. The master builder of the project was Elias Lioridis, from Platanos village, while the craftsmen came from Karpathos island.top
Five settlements belong to Kontakeika village, Agios Dimitrios, 1,5 Km northwest from the village, on the main road Karlovasi-Samos, with 231 inhabitants, Agios Nikolaos (or Limanaki) 2,5 Km north from the village, at the seaside, with 25 inhabitants, it’s a small tourist resort, with accommodation and restaurant, Vrises 1,5 Km west of the village, with 134 inhabitants, Agios Elias 2 Km northwest from the village, with 33 inhabitants and Hatzistamulides 2,7 south from the village (uninhabited).
Ep. Stamatiadis in “Samiaka” (1886), mentions the settlement of Kato Kalivia (=lower huts) or Avlakia (=grooves) with 18 families, which obviously is the current settlement of Agios Dimitrios, 1.5 Km northwest of the village.top
- Take a tour of the village and enjoy the beautiful houses and the church of Assumption of Virgin Mary of 1902
- There is a marked path #15 from the village, which after about 45 minutes walk, and about 750 m. altitude difference, ends at Kastrovouni area (900 m. height), with stunning views and the ruins of the Genoese castle. Alternatively you can follow the dirt road southeast, by car (4×4) for 4.5 km., from the village to the mountain Ampelos and then continue on foot covering a shorter distance and 200 m. altitude difference.
- From the village starts a dirt road (requires 4×4 and very careful driving) to the southeast that reaches the top of Mount Ampelos or other villages.
- Continuing the paved road southerly, you will reach after 4 km, the village Idroussa
- The biggest social event of the village is the big feast of the Virgin Mary on August 15.