Village altitude 300 m
Village land area 0,04 km2
Region averege altitude 320 m, mountain
Region land area 7 km2
Population 2011: 291, 2001: 277, 1981: 303, 1961: 496, 1940: 642, 1886 : 367, 1869: 273 inhabitants.
Area per person 132 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly on agriculture (viticulture, olives and vegetables). At the end of 19th century the main crop was tobacco.
Konteika village (Greek: Κοντέικα) located in the northwestern part of the island, at the foot of “Ambelos” mountain (or Karvounis).
Administratively consists the local communities of Konteika, which belongs to Karlovasi municipal unit, of West Samos Municipality with Karlovasi capital.
It is completely invisible from the sea, protected by pirates who infested the Aegean during earlier times .
Unfortunately, the village, suffered the greatest damage on the island, along with Samos city and Karlovasi, after the catastrophic earthquake of 6.7 Richter that struck Samos island on October 30, 2020, fortunately without casualties.top
History & name
The first settler, from whom the village took its name, was the shepherd Konstantinos Kontos who came in the middle of the 18th century from Platanos village.top
- Remarkable is the church dedicated to Virgin Mary and build in 19th century. Unfortunately, the church was severely damaged by the catastrophic earthquake of 6.7 Richter, that struck Samos on October 30, 2020.
- There was a small Folklore Museum created by the Greek-Australian Dimitris Katsikas, but the building was severely damaged by the catastrophic earthquake. We hope will soon be restored so that it can function again.
- The charming village square is an example of island architecture.
- Continuing the asphalt road to the south and you will reach after 3 km Platanos village .
- From “Konteika” there’re plenty of dirt roads (east) which lead towards the interior and to “Ambelos” mountain (or Karvounis).