- Koumaradei village
- Koumaradei village overview
- Koumaradei village view to the east and airport
- Koumaradei village the square
- Koumaradei village the public laundry
- Koumaradei village pottery
- Koumaradei village, traditional stone house
- Koumaradei village, 4 pieces door in "Katoi" at traditional house
Village altitude 340 m
Village land area 0,02 km2
Region averege altitude 329 m, semi-mountainous
Region land area 8,97 km2
Population 2011: 120, 2001: 158, 1981: 178, 1961: 275, & 1940: 371 inhabitants.
Area per person 202 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly on agriculture (olives trees), less on pottery and tourism (shops with herbs & pottery).
Koumaradei village (Greek: Κουμαραδαίοι) is located at the center of the island, and at the southern foothills of “Ambelos” mountain (or Karvounis). The distances are: 12 km from Pythagorio town, 26 Km from Samos town, 23 Km from Karlovasi town and 20 Km from Marathokampos village.
The wide view, from east to the south and the picturesque houses, put their own touch to the beauty of the village.
The village architecture is dominated by the typical Samian house with “katoi”(ground floor which served to store food, tools, animals) and “Anoi” (1st floor with the kichen-living room and bedrooms). An integral part of the beautiful architecture of the village is the public laundry of the village, next to the charming square.top
As author E.Stamatiadis at 1881 mentions, the name of the village derives from the many arbutus trees that grow in the area (which is the prevailing view). The Author Nikolas Dimitriou disagrees and supports the idea that its name derives from the surname “Koumaradas” who was the first inhabitant in the area.top
One settlement belong to Koumaradei village, Moni Megalis Panagias settlement (monastery area), 2,5 Km south from the village, with 7 inhabitants.top
- In the village, during recent years, pottery has developed. This craft came here by craftsmen trained in the neighboring village of Mavratzei which has a long history in pottery. Visit the village shops and buy herbs and pottery and see how they make their pots.
- At a distance of 2.5 Km south of the village, the monastery “Megalis Panagias” (=Great Virgin Mary) is located.
- Social event of the village, is the feast of St. George (April 23) and Agios Panteleimonas (July 27).