Village altitude 360 m
Village land area 0,02 km2
Region averege altitude 372 m, mountainous
Region land area 5,65 km2
Population 2011: 131, 2001: 131, 1961: 375, 1951: 395, 1928: 485, 1828: 188 inhabitants.
Area per person 138 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly on agriculture (mostly viticulture and olives).
Manolates village (Greek: Μανολάτες) is located at the north of the island, at the northern foothills of “Ambelos” mountain (or Karvounis). The distances are: from Samos town 23 km, from Karlovasi town 13 Km, from Pythagorio town 32 Km and from Marathokampos village 26 Km. It belongs administratively to the “municipal unity of Vathi”.
It’s a traditional village, with beautifully preserved houses, plenty of water, surrounded with lush vegetation and with fantastic view. The green slopes of Ampelos mountain (or Karvounis) that reach the sea, the view to the sea till Asia Minor, create a scene that is a key feature of the village. The villagers are occupied, almost exclusively with viticulture, so you will find good local wine in different varieties.
The village is one of the most popular sights of the island and attracts many visitors every day mainly during the summer months. It has very few rooms, that’s why the guests are passers-by, but it has charm, local products shops, gift shops, modern pottery workshops, and enough restaurants with good food and wine.top
In 1851, at Samos hegemony period (1834-1912), “Manolates” together with the villages Agios Konstandinos, Stavrinides, Ampelos, Valeontades (abandoned), & Margarites (abandoned) constituted the municipality of “Exi Geitonies” (=six neighbourhoods). At 1912 (union of Samos with Greece) it became an independent community.top
According to the author E.Stamatiadi, the name of the village derives from the surname “Manolas” which was the first family that settle in the area at 1794.top
Close to Manolates there were the settlements “Georgates”, “Aggelides”, “Margarites”, “Skopelites”, “Karamanolides” who had taken their name from the names of the settlers or families who lived there. Now these settlements are uninhabited and deserted. In some of them, such as “Margarites” there are ruins of houses, streets and the church of the village in honor of “Ag.Georgiou” with wall paintings and beautiful images of saints.top
- The village is connected with Stavrinides village by a paved path and it’s a very nice route for walkers. There are also dirt roads (for 4X4) leading to the top of mountain Ampelos (or Karvounis).
- Wander at the picturesque streets of the village with the beautiful and well-preserved houses, fine samples of Samian architecture.
- To get to the village you pass by a very beautiful place, called “aidonia” (= nightingales) with a forest of plane trees next to the river called “Kakorema” (= bad creek).
- At the village there is very good quality and great production of grapes for winemaking. Ask to taste local wine.
- There is a big area for parking at the entrance of the village.
Our Useful Features & Services
Restaurant & caffe
mainly gift shops, pottery and local produce
Road: asphalt, uphill winding at the last 4 km (very beautiful route)
winding road but beautiful route, next to the river and lush vegetation of plane trees.