Village altitude 60 m
Village land area 0,04 km2
Region averege altitude 60 m, lowland.
Region land area 10,50 km2
Population 2011: 249, 2001: 265, 1981: 286, 1961: 404, & 1940: 525, 1869: 219 inhabitants.
Area per person 151 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly on agriculture (citrus & olives trees), less on tourism (taverns).
Mili village (Greek: Μύλοι) is located to the south of the island. The distances are: 9 km from Pythagorio town, 23 Km from Samos town, 28 Km from Karlovasi town and 25 Km from Marathokampos village.
Administratively consists the local communities of Mili, which belongs to Pythagoreion municipal unit, of East Samos Municipality, with Samos city capital.
It’s located on the west end of “Choras village plain” (the largest plain in the island), close to the east bank of Imbrasus river and within a verdurous environment full of citrus orchards.top
History & name
Mili is one of the first villages in Samos, built at the begining of repopplation, in the mid of the 16th c.and probably created by the few Samians who had remained on the island at the time of desolation (mid 15th century), isolated at the mountains.
According to Em. Kritikidis at his book Topography of Samos (1869), among the first settlers of the village were potters, farmers and masons from Patmos, who built in 1602 the church of Agios Ioannis the Theologian and the warehouses next to the tower of Nikolaos Sarakinis from Patmos island, navigator of Kilic Ali Pasha, who contributed to the colonization of the island. The farmers were engaged in the cultivation of the land around the tower, while the potters contributed significantly to the development of ceramic art in the village at least until the end of the 19th century. Today (early 21st c.) there is only one pottery laboratory, that manufactures ornamental, tourist ceramics.
The village, as of the first on the island, was the first capital city of Samos for about 50 years (1550-1600), then “Chora” village (from about 1600 till 1854) became capital and then “Samos” town (from 1854 till today).
Unconfirmed information they say that philosopher Pythagoras, has had at the area a isolated refuge, to calm and dedicate himself το philosophizing.
The name Mili (=mills ) comes from the many water mills which operated in the area (to grind grain), as a result of the abundant water resources of the region and the waters of the river Imbrasus. Firstly (till midle 18th century) was named “Kilitz Ali Pasha” or “Kilitz Kioi” (Kioi=köy in Turkish means village) named after the Turkish admiral who contributed to the colonization of the desolate island.top
- Near the square, there is a small Mycenaean tomb.
- It has a scenic, beautiful, cool square with two big mulberry trees, but flooded by three tavernas’ tables. It’s nicely to have lunch there.
- Continuing the dirt road straight from the school you reach to Pagonda village after 4 km. It’s a nice route next to the river, with lush vegetation.
- Enjoy the beautiful view from the chapel of Agios Georgios at the top of the village.
- At a distance 3.5 Km north of the village, the monastery “Megalis Panagias” (=Great Virgin Mary) is located.