Fast facts

Population 2021: 728 inhabitants
Older Censuses 2011: 697, 2001: 684, 1991: 654, 1981: 573, 1961: 786, 1928: 1.233, 1869: 613, 17ος αι.:~400 inhabitants

Population density per Km² 36 inhabitants
Village altitude 
140 m
Region averege altitude 117 m, semi-mountainous
Village land area 
0,07 km2
Region land area 20,29 km2
Parish Church 1 orthodox, agios Georgios (Saint George), completed in 1754, at the expense of the parishioners of the village.
relies mainly in agriculture (olives, viticulture) and the settlements of the village in tourism. In the 19th century viticulture was almost the exclusive crop, from which they produced wine and raisins, in addition produced olive oil, almonds and silk. Coats of coal were also found, but they did not exploit due to their poor quality.



Paleokastro or Paliokastro village (Greek: Παλαιόκαστρο or Παλιόκαστρο) is located to the east of the island, and to thesouth-east of Samos town. The distances are: 7 Km from Samos town10 km from Pythagorio town,  32 Km from Pythagorio town and 45 Km from Marathokampos village.

Administratively consists the local communities of Paleokastro, which belongs to Vathi municipal unit, of East Samos Municipality, with Samos city capital.

Built on a small plateau, it is surrounded by hills and invisible from the sea, because of the pirates fear, during the heyday of piracy at Aegean sea.


History & name

Paleokastro belongs to the first villages of Samos, which were created after the recolonization of the island at the middle of 16th c., as it results from the period of construction of the village former parish church, Assumption of the Virgin, at the end of the 16th c., according to the book “Church of Samos” by the Metropolitan of Sidirokastro Ioannis.

There are no reports on the origin of the village first settlers, but concluding from the population movement of the wider area and especially the first settlements of Vathi village (which is located very close), and also of St. Barbara chapel (Saint which was adored in Chios island) the first settlers must have been Chians and Chiosamians, ie Samians who had taken refuge in Chios, during the desolation of the island. From the middle of the 17th c. probably Peloponnesian settler salso came, since after the conquest of Peloponnese by the Turks in 1715, the Greeks abandoned it and search for safer areas to settle, such as Samos after the repopulation of the island.

The wider area of Paleokastro, was inhabited since antiquity, but also in later times, as evidenced by the remains of buildings, processed marble, ceramic vessels and other objects of ancient Greek and Byzantine times.

Nearby, to the west of the village, in the place of Agios Tryfonas (St. Tryfonas), are the ruins of the ancient castle, with cyclopean walls, from which the name of the village comes.
At a distance 4 km. southeast of Paleokastro, at the chapel of Agios Panteleimon (St. Panteleimon), pieces of marble, ceramic vessels and other objects have been found that testify to the existence of ancient settlement.
In addition at ​​Posidonio area, 8 km. southeast of the village, until the beginning of the 18th c. buildings remains of an ancient Greek city were preserved, also ruins of two ancient temples (one was dedicated to Posidon), as well foundations of an ancient marble tower in which they were placed a chain ending to the opposite coast of Asia Minor, in order to prevent the passage of ships, as reported by Stamatiadis at Samiaka book. Joseph Pitton de Tournefort named the gulf of Posidonio “port with galleys”, since in the years of the Genoese and the Venetians they anchored their galleys in order to protect merchant ships from pirate attacks, while crossing the Eptastadio porthmo (=seven-stage strait, Straits of Mykali).

The habitation at the wider area of the village was intense during the early period of Christianity, as evidenced by references to churches of that time, but also the recording by I.Georgirinis at his work “the description of Samos in the 17th c.”, according to which, when Paul the Apostle and John the Theologian were spreading the Christianity, came also in Samos and lived at the area “Pisokampos” in the chapel of St. John the Theologian which since 2000 has been designated as a historical monument (17439/481/12-4-2000)..

The parish church of Agios Georgios (St. George) was completed in August 1754, with the financial assistance of the inhabitants, according the marble inscription on the church main gate. The important collection of the church includes the silver-plated icon of St. George that was made in 1649, while the other icons are later than 1860.



Five settlements belong to Paleokastro village,
>> Argiros settlement, 2 Km south of the village with 44 inhabitants,
>> Klima settlement at the seaside, 9 Km south-east from Paleokastro with 25 inhabitants, It has a picturesque beach, few apartments to let and restaurant, open during summer months.
>> Posidonio settlement at the seaside, 8 Km south-east from Paleokastro with 30 inhabitants. It took its name from the ancient temple of Posidon that existed there.  Τhe strategic position of the place, allow the control of ships movement at Mykali straits, and for this was used from antiquity to the time of the Genoese and the Venetians.
During the period of Hegemony in Samos, it was an important transportation hub for maritime transport, passengers and goods to and from the coasts of Asia Minor.
It has many tourist accommodations, restaurants, mini markets and other tourist businesses, which operate during the summer months.
>> Kerrveli (or charavgi) settlement at the seaside, 8 Km east-south from Paleokastro with 53 inhabitants. It has a picturesque beach, a large hotel unit, apartments to let and restaurants, open during the summer months.
>> and Psili ammos settlement at the seaside, 6,5 Km south from Paleokastro with 48 inhabitants.  Together with the nearby beach of Mykali, they are one of the most popular tourist destinations on the island during the summer months.  They have excellent beaches, several tourist accommodations, restaurants, mini market, water sports and other tourist businesses.
Nearby there is the protected by NATURA 2000, wetland of Alyki, where more than 150 species of protected birds find safe haven, with rare species of flora and fauna.



  • Visit the parish church of Agios Georgios build at 1754, as well the former parish church of the Assumption of Virgin build at 16th c. located next.
  • Follow the hiking route (18 km long), Paleokastro > Psili ammos > Klima > Posidonio > Kerveli , and get know the beauties of southeastern Samos, while relaxing in one of the beaches or eating in a tavern. The long route is almost entirely on a dirt road, giving you the opportunity to do it by car (4×4 is recommended), with minor differences.
  • Visit the settlements Psili ammos, Posidonio, Klima or Kerveli (or charavgi) for swimming, coffee, lunch or dinner.
  • Walk through the village and take you lunch or dinner with sea food and more, in one of the restaurants.
  • Visit the wetland of Alyki and admire the migratory Flamingos and other species of birds, as well rare species of flora and fauna, during the winter months.



Address & Contact

Our Address

Paleokastro Samos TK 83100


37.738306628559, 26.998866558075

Our Useful Features & Services


Caffe (traditional caffe)

Grocery store

Road: asphalt, easy uphill


Leave a Review

Publishing ...
Your rating has been successfully sent
Please fill out all fields