Village altitude 400 m
Village land area 0,12 km2
Region averege altitude 390 m, mountainous
Region land area 11,71 km2
Population 2011: 424, 2001: 562, 1981: 724, 1961: 1.253, & 1940: 1.750, 1869: 1.273 inhabitants.
Area per person 273 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly on agriculture (olives trees, beekeeping and viticulture).
Pirgos village (Greek: Πύργος) is located in cool and pleasant surroundings, next to the river Amphilissus, at the center of the island, and at south-west foothills of “Ambelos” mountain (or Karvounis).
The distances are: 16 km from Pythagorio town, 30 Km from Samos town, 20 Km from Karlovasi town and 17 Km from Marathokampos village.
Administratively consists the local communities of Pirgos, which belongs to Pythagoreion municipal unit, of East Samos Municipality, with Samos city capital.
Formerly, the village enjoyed great economic prosperity due to the large agricultural production but also the pivotal position since it is located in the center of southern Samos and is also serving the surrounding villages.
It is one of the largest villages in Samos island, with great agricultural production, mainly honey, oil, good quality wine and timber. Although lush forests used to surround the village, most were unfortunately destroyed by fire in 2000, still fortunatelly nature regenerates quickly, because of the fertile soil and abondance of water.
Due to the many running waters in the area of the village, there were many watermills, of which some have been included in a renovation project, one of them located within the village but unfortunately it still lays in ruins.
The village has charming architecture, with many picturesque stone-floored houses, with “sachnisi” (enclosed balcony, built with light materials) and external stairs, festooned with flowers, unfortunately many of them now abandoned.
The village preserves elements of the local traditional architecture and since 2002, has been characterized by the Greek goverment, as settlement of special natural beauty (4754 / 30-4-2002), with many restrictions on the houses construction and repair.top
History & Name
According the book “Topography of Samos” by Em. Kritikidis (1869), the first settlers of the village came around 1715 from Peloponnese and in particular either from Ilida (near Pyrgos town, Elias prefecture) or from Pyrgos (Diros) of Sparta (Prefecture of Laconia).
Arguing the view of Em. Kritikidis, we consider it more probable that the first settlers came from Pyrgos Dirou, located in the area of Laconic Mani, since the people from Mani due to their revolutionary character, were persecuted by the Ottoman conquerors and in Samos would enjoy the privilege of freedom, which the island had after recolonization around 1550. In addition, the barren and rocky land of Mani did not offer many prospects for development, in contrast to the fertile and promising Samos. Finally, one of the first churches that built at the village was dedicated to Agios Georgios (st. George) who is the most popular Saint in Mani.
The name of the village comes from the area of origin of the first settlers.top
- At Agios Georgios square, during the period of the second world war, an underground refuge existed there, so now there’s a war memorial erected at the spot.
- The imposing unfinished stone building that you see in the square, belongs to the former parish church of Agios Georgios, which was destroyed by fire a long time ago. Inside there is church built in 1971 for the preservation of the area’s sanctity.
- 3 km west on the provincial road to Karlovasi town, there is a small traditional shipyard for the construction of small wooden boats.
- 4 km west, on the provincial road to Karlovasi town, you will find the area “Koutsi”, with a small forest of plane trees and many running waters and springs. A little further you will find a small kiosk with their own local production, such as honey, herbs, etc., guaranteed quality.
- In direction of the villages of Mesogeio and Pandrosos you will be at the top of Mount Ampelos.
- Follow the very beautiful route to the village of Spatharei and then to the village of Pagondas.