- Platanos village
- Platanos village the square 1
- Platanos village the square 2
- Platanos village, public fountain 1
- Platanos village, public fountain 2
- Platanos village elementary school
- Platanos village, kimisi tis theotokou cherch
- Platanos village the public washhoushe
- Platanos village neighborhood 1
- Platanos village neighborhood 2
- Platanos village, vineyard
- Platanos village view to west
- Platanos village, view to north
Village altitude 530 m
Village land area 0,08 km2
Region averege altitude 530 m, mountain
Region land area 11 km2
Population 2011: 396, 2001: 577, 1951: 747, 1940: 900 inhabitants.
Area per person 205 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly on agriculture (viniculture) beekeeping, some restaurants and gift shops in tourism.
Platanos village (Greek: Πλάτανος), is located at the center of the island, at the western foothills of “Ambelos” (or Karvounis) mountain. The distances are: from Samos town 38 km, from Karlovasi town 12 Km, from Pythagorio town 25 Km and from Marathokampos village 8 Km. Administratively it belongs to the “municipal unity of Karlovasi”.
It has excellent view to north, west and south, you can see the mountain of “Kerkis” and the villages on it to the west, the southwest coastline of Samos, Karlovasi till Chios island (sometimes) at north, the island of Fournoi, many islands of the Dodecanese to the south, … the Aegean sea at your feet.
Although the surrounding area of “Platanos” suffered numerous fires, the village is still surrounded by rich forests with pines and vineyards.top
History & name
It was built at the beginning of 17th century from settlers from the island of Euboea. It got its name from the great plane trees that spring in it’s main square and the round around area (Platanos = Plane tree in Greek).
The village hasn’t got any other settlements in it’s area.
- Visit at the village the public fountain in the square that was built early of 17th century and rebuild at 1837.
- Visit at the village Τhe church of “Kimiseos tis Theotokou” (Assumption of Virgin Mary), is the post-Byzantine building at 17th century, monument recognised by ‘the Greek Ministry of Culture” since 1981.
- Visit at the village the building of the elementary school, which was built during late 19th century, with architectural design by Archimandrite “Damianos” (Nicholas Tsoukaladakis from Platanos), who was also a painter and architect and who studied in Paris. The building was restored to its original, in the end of 20th century by the distinguished architect Kyriakos Krokos (from Platanos as well).
- Drink coffee or have lunch in the cool square of the village, under the shade of plane trees.
- Βuy honey or homemade wine, from small traditional shops in the village square.
- From “Platanos” plenty of dirt roads will lead you east, to the interior of the island, towards the mountain of “Ambelos” (or Karvounis).
- Following the asphalt road to the north, will bring you to the villages Agii Theodori and Konteika
- The village is famous for its rich and clean waters, (there is also song about it click here for the original and here reggae mix).