Potami Beach (Greek Ποτάμι = river), is one of the most popular beaches of Samos in which frequented Locals from Karlovasi town. The waters are crystal clear, the scenery is very interesting and invites exploration. The sunset is beautiful and is worth to see. From here you can go to Micro Seitani and Megalo Seitani beaches.
The name becam from the river (nemed “Kerkitios” or “Potami of Kastania”) that flows in the middle of the beach.
During the mid-60s, hot healing springs had been identified in the wider area of Potami. After pressure by the residents, for exploitation of the springs and further tourism development, a carriage road was built in 1979, from the Port of Karlovasi to Potami area, but at the end the thermal springs were not considered exploitation values.
Potami Beach, in 2020 was named as one of the ten best beaches in Europe by the tourist website Lonely Planet.
When visiting the beach, do not forget to visit the waterfalls of the river, the Genoan castle, the church of Metamorfosis the oldest on the island and St. Nicholas chapel with its unique architecture and beautiful views of the sea and the beach.
- Length: 730 m
- Average width: 20 m
- Usually with wave
- Mostly local people
- Close to town Karlovasi
- Going in steep
- Sea with wave
- Clear water
- Cold water
- Changing rooms
- Sun beds and umbrellas for rent
- Snack bars
- Great for relaxing
- By car, route here from Karlovasi Port
- By hiking route from Karlovasi Port > Paleo Karlovasi > Potami beach (route here)
- Public bus
- TAXI station at Karlovasi > 5 Km Tel 22730 30777
- Free parking
- Doctors & Health Center < 5 km at Karlovasi Tel. 22730 83475
- Pharmacies > 5 km at Karlovasi
- First aid
- When you visit the Potami beach, also visit the “waterfalls” (1 Km on foot, route here), the Genoese Castle, the St. Nicholas chapel, and the church of Metamorphosis, which is the oldest church on the island.
- From Potami area, starts the path to the beaches Mikro Seitani and Megalo Seitani (hiking only route here)
- Hiking routes you can do at Potami area:
> route #2 the small round of Potami
> route #3 the big round Potami.
“Potami Beach” of Samos Island.