The permanent exhibition includes archaeological finds from the excavations carried out in and around the Castle and other Byzantine sites and monuments of Pythagoreio.
The exhibition includes six modules, which cover a wide range of information on the island’s history from late antiquity to the 19th century.
The exhibits and audiovisual equipment, show the everyday life during the Byzantine period, the history of the castle, the action of Lykourgos Logothetis, the fortress architecture in the Aegean and Samos and more.
Among other exhibits include architectural pieces, utilitarian pottery, small objects, coins, lead seals, etc. and through audio-visual equipment, informational text, photographs, drawings, reproductions of maps, engravings, documents, touch screen, projection room, etc.
The Museum is located on the hill of the “Castle of Pythagorio”, was inaugurated in the summer of 2010 and is housed in the “Tower of Lycurgus Logothetis”, one of the most important monuments of Samos, related to the Byzantine and modern history of the island.
The tower was built around 1824 by “Lykourgos Logothetis”, leader of rebellious Samians,against the Turkish rule.
Basically it was the mansion of L.Logothetis but also It housed the headquarters of Samian rebels during their fight against the Turks and aso served as a fortification.
- Construction time : 1824
- Origin : Modern Greek
- Castle Type : Tower House
- Altitude : 0 m
- Condition : Good