Zoodochou Pigis Kotsika (Greek Ζωοδόχου πηγής Κότσικα = Life-Giving Source at Kotsikas area) was founded in 1730 (or 1735), by the monk Azaria from New Ephesus, and belongs to the Samian Monastery “Panagia Vrontiani” in Vourliotes village.
The monk dreamed that an icon of Virgin Mary was buried beneath a cedar (Kotsika as they call it in Samos) in this area. Afterwards he went to the area, dug and found the icon. The monk Azariah decided, with the approval of the bishop, to build a monastery in honor of the Virgin Mary, and so he did. Originally he built a small church in honor of the Virgin Mary, and later a few cells in order to cover the housing needs of the monks, which multiplied over time.
The church was renovated in 1796 and the bell tower dates back to 1817. The temple is in good condition with some frescoes and the icon of Zoodochos which is silver plated from the 1781 by Ch.Stafrinou.
In the courtyard of the monastery is the tomb and bust of “I.Svoronos“, a wealthy merchant and major benefactor of Zoodochos Pigi monastery, since he had funded the construction of new cells, the two-storey towers and the re-erection of the spacious church.
In 1939 the metochi was abandoned and since then was not inhabited by monks again.
From 2000 onwards, there ‘ve been major interventions, with new modern buildings, sports facilities and others, which have altered the character of the monastery and it’s now used as a summer camp for kids, under the auspices of the Samos Metropolis.top
- Foundation year : 1730
- Founder : Monk Azaria
- Inhabited : Without monks, used as a summer camp, by the Metropolis of Samos
- Responsible : Father Emmanuel Giagourtas
belongs : To the Monastery Panagia Vrontiani
- Celebration : 5 days after Orthodox Easter
- Altitude : Elevation ≈ 35 m
- Condition : Very good (they have done extensions and interventions, with the addition of modern buildings)
- To visit the monastery contact the Metropolis of Samos. The area of the monastery is used as a summer camp.