• Description

The monastery of Zoodochou Pigis (Greek Ζωοδόχου πηγής = Life-Giving Source) or Ailiotissa (Greek Αηλιώτισσα) was founded in 1756 by the monk Dorotheus. At that time the monk Dorotheus, was seeking to find a place quiet and beneficial for the soul, in order to isolate, to calm, to philosophise and be close to God. Eventually he chose this location, which had all the conditions, with rich forest and existed chapel dedicated to Zoodohos Pigi. Τhe monk Dorotheus in 1756 asking for permission from Archbishop of Samos Kallinikos, to bestow the chapel and he gave him permission.

Dorotheos, soon build a few cells around the chapel in order to meet their own housing needs but also to attract other monks, as it happened. After a few years began the renovation of the chapel which was completed on May 18, 1782, as mentions the inscription above the entrance.

The spacious church is Byzantine style with a dome that rests on four pillars, which are derived from the ancient temple of Miletus in Asia Minor.

Inside the church there were important frescoes which for the most part have been destroyed over time, was kept only two parts of, one at the vestibule with form of Christ and Virgin Mary and the other in the Holy Sanctuary. The amazing wood carving altarpiece with Bible shows, dating from the 1802 by the hand of “Tantolou”  as mentions the inscription. Also wood carving is and the icon stand (built in 1810), on which is positioned the striking silver-plated icon of Zoodochos Pigi construction of 1793 with a donation of Mytilinii villagers.

The reputation of the monastery was (and is) great, which is confirmed by the visit of the Greek King Paul in 1935 and the Belgian King Leopold II with his wife Maria Eriettis who visited at the middle of 19th century.

  • Features

  • Foundation year : 1756
  • Founder : monk Dorotheus
  • Inhabited : by 6 nuns & 1 novice
  • Responsible : Αbbess sister Salome
  • Celebration : 5 days after Orthodox Easter
  • Altitude : Elevation ≈ 320 m
  • Condition : Very good
  • Admission

  • Access is free to the public.  Entrance to the monastery with decorous clothing.

Opening Hours


10:00 - 13:00 & 18:00 – 20:00


10:00 - 13:00 & 18:00 – 20:00


10:00 - 13:00 & 18:00 – 20:00


10:00 - 13:00 & 18:00 – 20:00




10:00 - 13:00 & 18:00 – 20:00


10:00 - 13:00 & 18:00 – 20:00

Entrance to the monastery with decorous clothing

Address & Contact

Our Address

Vlamari Samos T.K. 83100


37.769039658913, 27.028816103935






Leave a Review

Publishing ...
Your rating has been successfully sent
Please fill out all fields