GPS: 37.689815749005, 26.942709088361
Celebration program for “Metamorphosis sotiros” and 195th Anniversary of Mykali naval battle.
- Time 08:30 : Ceremonious hoist of the flag at the port of Pythagoreion.
- Time 10:30 : Ceremonious Doxology at “Metamorphosis” church
- Time 11:00 : Memorial service and laying of wreaths at the statue of “Lykourgos Logothetis”.
- Time 11:45 : Photography exhibition, and Traditional Greek dances by the dance group “Lykourgos” at Irene Square in Pythagorion.
- Time 20:30 : 9th Festival of Traditional Dances “Adamoma (Meeting) at Pythagorio” at the main Pythagorion Street. There are 10 dance groups from Samos and one guest from the island of Leros.
Few words about history
After the revolution of Samians against Othomans in 1821, they try to occupy Samos. The decisive battle took place on August 6 1824, where the head of the fleet Chosref Pasha, ordered general attack, leading to suffer incalculable losses from the Greek fleet, forcing them to abandon the effort and fled to Asia Minor.
That date coincides with the feast of the Transfiguration and Lykourgos Logothetis decided to engraved on a marble slab «ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΣΑΜΟΝ ΕΣΩΣΕΝ 6 ΑΥΓΟΥΣΤΟΥ 1824» (=Christ saved Samos in 6 August 1824), in the church of metamorphosis in Pythagorio and celebrated this date every year in Pythagorion till today.
Municipality of Samostop