The monastery of Agia Zoni (Greek Αγία Ζώνη = Holy Belt) was built in 1695 by the monk Meletios, who had the desire to build a monastery on behalf of Agia Zoni at the foundations of the homonymous ancient church that existed in the area, but he did not know the exact location, nor were there any remnants to help him, so he approximatelly chose the site where the church’s located till today.
Originally was built the church and some cells around the church for a few monks. Later on, with the increase more monks, the cells multiplied and they slowly surrounded the church and created a fort around the monastery, which protects the sacred images, sacred objects, text collections and the monks themselves from pirate raids.
The church of the monastery is a vaulted basilica with a dome, while inside there are magnificent frescoes of the 17th century, with exposed the ravages of time. Some parts of the mural have been repaired, while the lowest is recent and has secondary artistic value.
Prominent in the church are the large silver-plated icon of Agia Zoni created in 1819 and the wooden temple of 1801, which depicts the sacrifice of Abraham, Adam and Eve, the Almighty god above the “beautiful gate” etc ..
- Construction time : 1695
- Founder : priest-monk Meletios
- Inhabited : by 2 monks
- Responsible : Archimandrite Christophoros Petrou
- Celebration : 31 August
- Altitude : Elevation ≈ 120 m
- Condition : Εxcellent (major renovation in 2013)
- Access is free to the public. Entrance to the monastery with decorous clothing.