The monastery of Kimisis Theotokou (Greek Κοίμησις της Θεοτόκου = The Assumption of the Virgin Mary), was founded in early 19th century by monks group of Mount Athos.
After spiritual dispute that existed between the monks of Mount Athos, early 19th century, a small group of monks left and came in Marathokampos village. The locals approached them, loved them and was influenced so that some of the residents, basically women, were ordained nuns, and thus created the nunnery of the Assumption. The nuns were supported financially, by handiwork which they made for sell.
The monastery housed in a building which was used as a nursing home and charitable foundation. The church was built before the monastery in 1769, and in 1819 was renovated from the foundations, but it’s much smaller than the original, as seen from the old foundations of the church.
Until 1998 they lived there two elderly nuns, which died and the monastery became deserted, while the building installations were almost ruined. From around 2010, the monastery was manned by a nun and began renovation of old buildings and new construction.top
- Foundation period : Early 19th century
- Founder : Monks group of Mount Athos
- Inhabited : By 2 nun
- Responsible : –
- Celebration : 8 September
- Altitude : Elevation ≈ 200 m
- Condition : Excellent (building complex, rebuild in 2014)
- Access is free to the public. Entrance to the monastery is allowed with properly dressed, with decorous clothing.