Village altitude 5 m
Village land area 0,19 km2
Region averege altitude 5 m, semi-mountainous
Region land area 11,85 km2
Population 2011: 1.628, 2001: 973, 1928: 1.536, 1900: 745, 1869: 533 inhabitants.
Area per person 114 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly in tourism less in fishing and agriculture. (olives, viticulture). Previously Kokkari was famous for dried grapes and sweet pumpkins.
Kokkari village (Greek: Κοκκάρι) is located to the north of the island, and north-west of Samos town. The distances are: 10 Km from Samos town, 20 Km from Karlovasi town, 20 km from Pythagorio town and 33 Km from Marathokampos village.
Administratively consists the local communities of Kokkari, which belongs to Vathi municipal unit, of East Samos Municipality, with Samos city capital.
Is one of the most developed touristic area of Samos island, with many, friendly businesses, apartments to let and big hotels. The picturesque village, beautiful beaches, the warmth of the people, the “Rock style” of the village, attracts thousands of visitors during the summer months and the winter time also.
Βuilt as settlement by residents of Mytilinii village, early of 19th century, on the ruins of an early Christian settlement that had been abandoned since the 14th c. due to pirate raids and its inhabitants moved to the castle of Loulouda.
In the beginning the village was developed over two hills and then expanded to the plain.
Today is one of the large villages on the island and the only one with population growth during the last census.
The author Nikos Dimitriou in his book “Samian Folklore” mentions that the name of Kokkari derives from the name of its first settler and this seems to be the most possible explanation.
The author E.Stamatiades, mentions that the name Kokkari originates from the great production of onion seed-bulb (kokkari in Greek means onion seed-bulb) that were cultivated at the village. Probably this view is not valid since there were many villages in Samos which produced biger quantities of “kokkari” (onions seed) at that time and not only Kokkari village.top
- About 2 km south west of Kokkari is the area “Plaka” with huge plane trees and lots of water which make a scene of wild beauty. There are also ruins of an ancient temple, dedicated to Asclepius.
- There are many dirt roads (by 4X4) and paths (by foot) for “Ambelos” mountain (or Karvounis).
- There is also a school for windsurfing .
- Enjoy the sea at the beaches inside the village but also about 2 km west to the beaches Lemonakia and Tsamadou.