Village altitude 380 m, mountainous
Village land area 0,02 km2
Region averege altitude 390 m, mountainous
Region land area 2,55 km2
Population 2011: 42, 2001: 69, 1981: 136, 1961: 216, 1940: 301, 1828: 122 inhabitants.
Area per person 364 m² per person.
Economy relies mainly on agriculture (mostly viticulture and olives).
Stavrinides village (Greek: Σταυρινήδες) is located at the north of the island, at the northern foothills of “Ambelos” mountain (or Karvounis). The distances are: from Samos town 26 km, from Karlovasi town 16 Km, from Pythagorio town 35 Km and from Marathokampos village 29 Km. It belongs administratively to the “municipal unity of Vathi”.
It’s one of the smallest villages in the island, built in a beautiful mountain setting, with plenty of water, surrounded with lush vegetation, vineyards and orchards with excellent view to the north.top
In 1851, at Samos hegemony period (1834-1912), Stavrinides with the villages Agios Konstandinos, Ampelos, Manolates, Valeontades (abandoned), & Margarites (abandoned) they constituted the municipality of “Exi Geitonies” (=six neighbourhoods). In 1900 Stavrinides with Ampelos were separate municipality, in 1907 reconstitution the municipality of “Exi Geitonies” and included again Stavrinides and Ampelos. At 1912 (union of Samos with Greece) became an independent community.top
The name derives from the surname of “Stavrinos” one of the first residents in the village.top
In the past, there was a small settlement close to the village, named “Kosmades”, which is non-existent any more.top
- Visit the parish church of Prophet Elias, which celebrates on July 20th, when a very beautiful festival takes place at the village.
- Until a few years ago a primary school used to function at the village. Now it is closed, because of the population decline.
- The village is connected with Manolates village by paved path and is also a very nice route for walkers. There are also dirt roads (for 4X4) leading to the top of mountain “Ambelos” (or Karvounis).
- Relax and enjoy the view in the small park at the village entrance.