Exhibits of the museum are leather processing tools, machinery, processed leather, photographs, historical information, etc. on exhibits and reflects with the best way the Tanning history in Karlovasi town.top
Under the auspices of Karlovasi Municipality section, diligence Mrs K. Zarko, the technical assistance of Mr Aristarchus Ioannidis and many others, around 2008, the tanning museum in Karlovasi town was created, honoring the producers of an industry which culminated from the middle of 19th century till middle of 20th.
The museum is housed in an old tannery stone building and reflects the history of tanning industry in Karlovasi town.
The heyday of tanneries at Karlovasi town is placed between 1880 to about 1930, when there were 50 tanneries with 300 employees, covering 25% of domestic production, while the pre-industrial form of this industry, existed already decades ago. For the first time in 1863 the word “industry” is recorded in a municipal document, and in 1868 all tanners sign a petition and seek reduction of taxes. The first tanners’ association named “Brotherhood of tanners The Prophet Elias” was founded in 1899, for the purpose of mutual support and asistance to poor workers, while in 1908 there was already a trade union under the name “Brotherhood of Tannery Workers Saint Panteleimon”.top