Kerkis or Kerketeas mountain (in Greek Κέρκης or Κερκετέας) , extends its peaks high above the west side of Samos.
Kerkis is literally a huge rock. As it is completely dry, it is a very unfriendly and difficult place to trek. For this reason, people have lost their way back, many times, that’s why you must be very careful.
The view at the top and from most points of the route is amazing. During a good day the neighboring islands are visible and when the weather is clear one can see as far as the mountains of Crete.
Respect the environment; do not throw away rubbish or start any kind of fire.
- It’s better to hike at Kerkis mountain with organized team and Specialised guide, like Samos outdoor activities.
- Start early in the morning, take water with you, do not leave the path, put signs to paths for return, return early in the afternoon.
- The terrain is quite rocky and the route is physically demanding but not technically.
- The easyest way to reach the peak “Vigla”, is to begin from Kampos Marathokampou, then by car or by feet going up to meet the trail. First you cross the monastery of Evaggelistrias, at an altitude of 650 m., continuing the ascent, to Prophet Elias at altitude of 1.150 m., and then to the peack high of mt Kerkis, “Vigla” wich located at altitude of 1,434 m. Get here path informations till Prophet Elias.
- Another path to reach the top of Kerkis mountain is from Kosmadei village, get path informations here
- No fires
- Remove your trash when you leave