SAMOS ISLAND EXPLORER | since 1998 online
it is paved with white and colorful, medium-sized pebbles and crystal clear waters. The sea is calm, since enclosed by bay which that protects the beach. To avoid the crowds and be more comfortable you can go to the western part of the beach, or to go at a small individual beaches after the main beach.
Marathokampos it is lying southeast at the foot of “Kerkis” mountain, on the hillside “Fterias”. Built amphitheatrically, with stunning southwest view of the islands of Fourni, Patmos, Arki, Lipsi, Agathonisi Samiopoula even in Leros and kalimno, when the weather permits.
In the Southeastern part of Samos, at the community periphery of Paleokastro village, is a small (150 acres), but special environmental importance, wetland of Alyki (= saltworks, Αλυκή in Greek), with rich and rare biodiversity, unusual for the Aegean islands. From antiquity (probably) and until 1965, the wetland basin was used as a saltworks area for salt production. After saltworks abandonment, nature immediate showed signs of regeneration, and was turn saltworks area into a rich wetland. During winter months (~November ~April), the clay soil of the basin substrate, retains the water and creating a shallow lake, with surface 150 acres and maximum depth about 70 cm. During this period it hosts a large population of migratory birds, and other endemic animals, thus enriching the biodiversity of the wider habitat. During summer months (~May ~October), the water evaporates, the lake dries up, and the biodiversity of the habitat is degraded, eagerly awaiting its new life cycle. The large population and the variety of migratory birds, owe significantly to the geographical location of Alyki, which located between two important wetlands on the coasts of Asia Minor. Southeast the estuary of Meander river, at distance 23 km and north the estuary of Cayster […]
Is in the sothwestern part of the island, just 4,5 km from Marathokampo village and 16,5 Km from Karlovasi. Administratively belongs to the “municipal community of Marathokampos”
The parish church of Agios Theodoros was erected in 1838, The construction of the new church, completed in 1853,