The famous waterfalls are located at the northwest side of Samos, 5 kilometers from the center of Karlovasi city, in the Potami area. Undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and popular parts of the island.
The waterfalls are located about 3 km from the estuary of “the river of Kastania” (Kerkitios in antiquity), on the beach Potami. They are located in a canyon created by the river, which is covered by a dense forest of plane trees, ferns and other plants.
Leaving the road and after a fairytale hike next to the river (about 1 km) you will reach a small pond which you have to swim to find the first waterfall, about 2 m high. From there, the bravest and fittest of you (we do not recommend it), can climb the cliffs to continue to the second waterfall walking through the river for a few hundred meters. Alternatively, we suggest returning to the shore of the pond; climb the wooden steep steps, continue the path for about 400 meters and continuing through the river to find yourself in the second and a little larger waterfall. On the way you will find a tavern, adapted to the environment, from where you can enjoy the view in an exceptional natural environment.
Perhaps some will be disappointed by the size of the cascades, since you may expect something bigger, still you will be surely impressed by the lush vegetation and the old plane trees and enjoy a “cool” hike, taking a small taste of the beauties of the wild Samian Nature.
Respect the environment; do not throw away rubbish or start any kind of fire.
- At the beginning of the path, you will find the church of Metamorphosis (the oldest at Samos island) and the Genovese Castle, located on a hill above the church.
- Although there is no mention of it, the existence of the buildings leads to the conclusion that there was a small settlement in the 14th century (a period of mature Middle Ages), since it had all the prerequisites, such as plenty of water, raw materials, abundant woods, arable land in the small plain near the beach and mainly cover by pirates.
- Do not miss to swim in the beautiful beach potami and if you stay till late in the afternoon, to enjoy the beautiful colors of the sunset.
- Driving for 5 kilometers from the center of Karlovasi city, there is potami area, with the homonymous beach. When you get there, a few meters before the bridge of the river, you will see the sign and a small iconostasis from where the path leads you, after about 1 Km, to the first litle lake.
- Alternatively, you can also go by car to the tavern, after following the dirt road that starts from the main road, opposite the chapel of Agios Nikolaos (on the eastern edge of the beach).
The route is 1.3 Km (at the intersection after 1 km you will go right, if you go straight you will go to the village of Leka).
- No fires
- Remove your trash when you leave
- Camping is prohibited